I made a whoopsie...
I told you that I'm a sucker for guacamole in an earlier post. What I should have told you is that I'm a sucker for guacamole, nachos, and beer. Anything smothered in oozing cheese, sour cream, and guac on guac on guac, and I'm onboard!
Last week we went to Orlando for my company's annual National Sales Meeting, where thousands of Insight Globalites congregate for a cult-like meeting where we all chant how great IG is, drink more alcoholic beverages than necessary, and eat entirely too much junk food. That last beer, nachos swimming in cheese, and loaded tater tots always sound so good at the time...
So now I'm cleansing my soul and my body with wholesome and healthy meals and lots of H2O. This salad out of Ottolenghi's cookbook Plenty More, is fresh and bursting with flavor between the beets, marinated onions, avocado, peas, and tons of fresh herbs. However I'm a complete ditz and got so excited to eat the salad that I forgot to add the peas to it! So after finishing our meal I walked into the kitchen to find a bowl full of fresh peas. Very disappointing, so make sure you add them to yours!
Beet, Avocado, and Pea Salad
-2 medium beets, peeled and cut into paper thin slices
-1 small red onion, thinly sliced
-3 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
-1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra to finish
-1 tsp sugar
-1 - 3 tsp chili sauce or Tabasco
-2 medium avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
-micro greens, about a cup
- mint and cilantro, about 1/4 cup of each roughly chopped
-1 cup fresh or frozen peas, quickly blanched and refreshed
-salt and black pepper to season
What to do
1) Boil some water in a pot and add the beets. Blanch for 3 - 5 minutes until semi cooked but still retaining a bite
2) Refresh under cold water, pat dry and transfer to a large bowl
3) Add the onion, vinegar, oil, sugar, chili sauce, salt and black pepper
4) Toss gently, taste the dressing for acidity and seasoning. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar or honey, or more vinegar if you want it tangier. This is all you! Set aside for 15 minutes
5) When ready to serve, spread half the beet mixture onto a large plate or shallow bowl
6) Top with micro greens, chopped herbs, avocado, peas, and the more of the beet mixture.
7) Finish with a drizzle of olive oil!
Happy Monday every one!